Recipe: Yummy Misal Pav
Misal Pav. how to make maharashtrian misalpav recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. a popular spicy dish from the western india which is made up of a spicy dish misal served bread or pav. the uniqueness of this dish is with its topping and the spicy misal is topped with chivda mix, or sev or farsan. this spicy and lip-smacking dish is typically served for breakfast or as a snack. Misal pav recipe with step by step photos. Misal pav is a popular Mumbai street food of usal (sprouts curry) topped with onions, tomatoes, farsan (fried savory mixture), lemon juice and served with pav.
The final dish is topped with farsan or sev, onions, lemon and coriander (cilantro). It is usually served with bread or rolls toasted with butter and buttermilk or curd and papad. Misal Pav is a vibrant meal consisting of a spicy sprouted bean curry topped with crunchy farsan, crisp red onions and fresh cilantro that is served with lightly buttered pav or dinner rolls. You can cook Misal Pav using 25 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Misal Pav
- You need 2 cups of moth bean sprouts.
- It’s 2 small to medium of Potatoes, cubed.
- Prepare 1 of large or medium onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 1-2 of green chilies, chopped.
- Prepare 3-4 of garlic.
- It’s 1 inch of ginger.
- You need 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- It’s 10-12 of curry leaves.
- It’s 1-1.5 tablespoon of Goda masala or kala masala.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder.
- It’s ½ teaspoon of Red chilli powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of coriander powder 1 teaspoon cumin powder.
- Prepare 1.5 teaspoons or⅓ or ½ cup of tamarind, soaked in water.
- Prepare 2 to 3 of kokums.
- It’s 3/4 cup of water or add as required.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Prepare As per taste of Salt.
- Prepare 8 to 10 of Misal pav (bread rolls) or bread slices as required.
- It’s 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions.
- You need 1/2 cup of finely chopped tomatoes (optional).
- You need 1/2-1 cup of thick sev or farsan (chiwda), fried savory snack mixture.
- Prepare 1 of lemon or lime quartered or diced.
- It’s 1/3 cup of chopped coriander leaves.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh curd or yogurt, beaten, optional.
The bold flavors of this peppery dish are accentuated with a dash of lemon, packing in an explosion of flavors in every bite. Misal Pav is a very popular Indian street food that you can easily make at home. Unlike Pav B haji (that is medley of veggies), Misal Pav is made by using lentil sprouts in onion-tomato based curry. It is topped with some chopped onion, tomato, farsan, and lemon juice then served with Pav or Buns.
Misal Pav step by step
- Preparation for misal pav- Rinse the moth bean sprouts first in running water. The drain and then add the sprouts, cubed potatoes, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt in a pressure cooker. Then the water should be covering the matki sprouts about ½ inch above. If using mixed bean sprouts, you will have to add more water. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles..
- In a small bowl soak the tamarind in ⅓ or ½ cup warm water for 25 to 30 mins. Squeeze the tamarind and extract the pulp. Keep the tamarind pulp aside and making usal for misal pav. Heat oil in another pan and crackle the mustard seeds first. Then add the cumin and saute for some seconds till the cumin gets golden..
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent. Then add the curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste and green chilies, stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away. Add the remaining ¼ tsp turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and goda masala..
- Stir and then add the tamarind pulp. Saute till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away. drain the pressure cooked matki sprouts and potatoes and add them to the tamarind pulp. Stir and add ¾ to 1 cup of water or more water if required. Season it with salt and simmer it as usual for 8 to 10 mins on a low flame with occasional stirrings..
- Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves. If you want you can also add sugar or jaggery. Assemble the misal pav while the usal is simmering, you can prep the toppings for the misal pav. Finely chop the onions and tomatoes and it keep aside. Take the steaming for 3 to 4 individuals..
- In each bowl of usal, first, add the chopped onions and tomatoes. Then top usal with chopped coriander leaves, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice and then top it with farsan or chiwda. serve the misal bowl in a plate with pav buns and slices of lemon, chopped onion and mix farsan/sev/chiwda. Enjoy the misal pav..
Misal Pav recipe, How To Make Misal Pav, Homemade Misal Pav, Maharashtrian Misal Pav with detailed step by step photos and video. One of the most famous of Maharashtrian recipes, Misal is a scrumptious cocktail of savouries and sprouts! Wholesome and tasty sprouts are cooked with tangy tomatoes and pungent onions and served with laddi pav. Misal Pav recipe with step by step photos. Misal is one of the traditional Maharashtrian dish and also a popular Mumbai Street Food!