How to Make Perfect Andhra Style Munagakaya Pappu/Daal with Drumsticks
Andhra Style Munagakaya Pappu/Daal with Drumsticks.
You can cook Andhra Style Munagakaya Pappu/Daal with Drumsticks using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Andhra Style Munagakaya Pappu/Daal with Drumsticks
- It’s 150 gm of Pigeon Pea Lentils.
- You need 1 of Onion finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 of Tomatoes finely chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Red chilli powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Ginger garlic paste.
- It’s 2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2 cups of Drumstick pieces.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Tamarind soaked.
- Prepare 2 Sprigs of Curry Leaves.
- Prepare of FOR THE TEMPERING -.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Oil.
- It’s 3-4 of Dry Red chillies.
- You need 1/8 tsp of Asafoetida.
- You need 1 tsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Black Mustard seeds.
- You need 2-3 of Garlic cloves sliced.
Andhra Style Munagakaya Pappu/Daal with Drumsticks instructions
- Wash and soak the lentils in enough water for 4-5 hours. Pressure cook them with chopped onion and tomatoes, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, a little of salt and curry leaves for almost 6 whistles or as required..
- Let the pressure settle down before opening the lid of the cooker. Mix well and add the drumstick pieces now. You can pressure cook them for 4 whistles if desired. But i prefer them being slow cooked on fire until tender..
- This way the drumsticks get cooked properly and are not mushy at all. If we pressure cook, then the chances are that they might become too soft and over cooked and will not taste good..
- Cover with a lid and simmer until the drumsticks are done. This might take atleast 20 minutes on a medium high heat. Keep stirring in between at regular intervals. Now add tamarind water (which we get by squeezing the soaked tamarind) to adjust the consistency of it to your liking by adding extra water if required..
- Now comes the tempering part. Heat ghee on a low heat and add asafoetida first. Next add all the other ingredients one by one. Let the seeds crackle and the cloves get fried with a nice aroma. Now is the time to add this tempering to the daal. Mix well and it's all ready to be served..
- Serve this yummy, flavourful, aromatic and healthy daal with rice and pickle alongside poppadums for a comfort meal par excellence..
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)