How to Make Yummy Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo
Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo. Reviews for: Photos of Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. I only used half the roux because I like my gumbo thicker. Categories: Gumbo Recipes Chicken Recipes Poultry Sausage Recipes.
Remove and shred meat, and discard bones and skin; stir meat back into gumbo. This recipe was a culmination of several recipes that I ran across through the years. It is time consuming but it is worth it. You can cook Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo
- You need 3 lbs of chicken thighs with bone and skin.
- Prepare of Seasoned flour to dredge chicken.
- It’s 1 of lg yellow onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of red & 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped.
- It’s 6 of celery stalks, chopped.
- Prepare 8-10 of roma tomatoes, chopped.
- Prepare 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of cream sherry.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of shortening.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 10-12 cups of water.
- It’s 1/3 cup of granulated chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1 tbs of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 tbs of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 tbs of white pepper.
- It’s of Cajun seasoning to taste. I like it spicy so I used a fair bit.
- You need 1 pkg of frozen okra.
- You need 1 1/2-2 lbs of andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick.
- Prepare 4-6 cups of prepared white rice.
- Prepare of Gumbo filé.
Note: The roux is probably the most important part of making a gumbo, take your time and you will be rewarded (To quote Alton Brown). The darker the color, the richer it will. Andouille sausage and file powder make this chicken-and-sausage gumbo a classic and, as in any good gumbo, a deep, rich roux thickens the stew. Put chicken pieces in a bowl.
Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo step by step
- Place seasoned flour into a lg ziplock bag. Add chicken and seal. Shake well to coat evenly. Heat canola oil in a lg frying pan just under medium heat. Fry chicken covered until golden brown on both sides. Set aside..
- In the same pan, reserve 2 tbs of the chicken grease. Add onions, peppers, and celery. Fry on medium heat until onions are translucent..
- Meanwhile in a lg Dutch oven, melt shortening on medium heat. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Stir almost constantly until the roux becomes almost a chocolate brown and smells very nutty. This takes a while, but is the base Flavor of the dish. If it starts to smell burnt. Start over..
- Add tomatoes and garlic to the onion mixture. Keep frying until about half of the liquid from the onions evaporates. Add sherry. Bring to a simmer until half of that liquid evaporates..
- When the roux is done it will be a nice caramel color. Slowly add the onion mixture to it. Continue to stir constantly. Add water and mix thoroughly. Add the fried chicken, bouillon and spices. Bring to a simmer and simmer for an hour uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add okra and sausage. Simmer for another 20 minutes..
- In a bowl, plate rice off to one side. Add gumbo to the bowl, and top with a chicken thigh. Sprinkle a little gumbo filé on top and serve immediately. Enjoy..
Blend salt, peppers, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and file powder. Rub four teaspoons of the mixture over the chicken. Continue adding the roux mixture, half a cup at a time, always stirring rapidly and constantly. Progresso® chicken broth provides a simple addition to chicken and sausage gumbo that is served over rice. Perfect for slow cooked Cajun dinner.